Friday, May 18, 2012

How to Refashion a Maxi Dress

The Easy way to Refashion a Maxi Dress

How to refashion a maxi dress so you can get more more out of it, is what we are talking about today. I am in the process of working on a whole "maxi" dress series. Because you can do so to give new life to these dresses. 
This is a no-sew maxi dress refashion

Yesterday I posted all about my Maxi Dress issues and my mission to refashion them.  If you want to see all of them you can look at yesterday's post called Maxi Dress Fix.  So today I refashioned number one on my list of dresses to fix, as promised.  I am going to show you how I did it, in case you also have a bunch of out dated Maxi dresses that also need a face lift.

Step 1
Get your supply's
Maxi Dress
Scissors
Some pins and chalk will help

Step 2
Fold the side seams together, then lay the skirt down.  Then pin the bottom together to keep it lined up well. Next make one long diagonal cut.  If you need to use chalk to help you can... as you see from the photos I changed my mind regarding my chalk line.
One diagonal cut from front to back
Step 3
I had a left over strap that I removed from my project last week.  I just laced the strap trough a hole that was in the top of the dress.  It was part of the design, you can see in the photo below.  Then I just tied it around my neck.  If your dress does not have a weird hole like mine did, you will have to attach the new straps with needle and thread.

See how I was able to add the neck strap without having to sew
Step 4
I used the remaining part of the skirt that I cut away as a head band.  I thought it might help cover the spots that I am now balding, I don't know if it helped.  I have this new theory I try and use ALL my scraps.  No scrap left behind!

So this is how it turned out! What do you think? I think I will get much more use out of it now.
My new dress
If the headband is not for you, or maybe your dress wont let you easily add a neck strap, cause I know how much the thread and needle can suck.  Then I came up with a second option for you.  In this option I did not add the neck strap and I used the cut away portion as a little shoulder shawl.  I like this option also.


Well what do you think?  I think it both ways of wearing the new dress both turned out great! I like it so much more now.  I think I will be able to wear it more now, because it looks less formal. I hope you enjoyed this refashion, please let me know what you think.  I hope you will give this maxi dress refashion a try on one of your outdated dresses.  Send me a picture of what you come up with.

8 comments:

  1. Great repurpose! Love how it turned out! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party!

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I am from SITS girls www.babybearhugs.com follow back! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow Broke! I am going to check out baby bear hugs now! I am so glad you like the dress I hope you will give it a try

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane, I am so glad you looked at my blog today!

      Delete