Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY Cute no sew nursing top


Tutorial 4
                                            

I was browsing my favorite maternity shop figure 8 maternity  and found this cute nursing top for $74.  I love it but I can't spend that much on myself, I just can't.  I am sure all you Mommas know what I am talking about.  So I am going to show you how to make one like this one for less. Much less
I saw this fort $74!!!  at figure 8 maternity I will show you how for $5


It works like so, very nice when you're out and about.


This style top was super popular a few years ago, so guess what that means?  Yep you got it!  The thrift stores are filled with them.  They are the perfect style to convert into a cute nursing top...Ok lets get started!

Step 1
What you need
You will need a top (this double layered style), scissors, Chalk, Fray Check and liquid stitch (or sewing machine) Small scrap of ribbon or fabric.
This is the top I got out of my sisters closet(not a thrift store but actually garbed it from my sister)

Step2
Mark with chalk

Try it on and mark with chalk a line down the middle and a line just under the bust (so you know where the ta-tas are!)



Step3
Cut it up! 


Now time to cut this part is the tricky part!  You need to be a little crafty with this part and adjust it to your shirt and body, but I know you can do it! You will get the best results if you make a few snips then try it on and check to see how easy the breast is to access, then keep doing this until you have a long enough slit cut to access your breast very easy.  Depending on you particular shirt and body size you might need to make this cut longer or shorter than mine.   TIP*  You might also need to make it a slight oval.

Step 4
Glue or sew 


Now you (probably) need to fasten a ribbon to help keep the slit from showing too much at the wrong time.  Use liquid stitch or sew it on.  You might need 1,2 or 3 sets of ties.
This stuff is the best for any No-sew project!

I got this ribbon on a set of towels so it was free
Step 5
Reinforcement!

Run Fray Check all along the opening adding extra at the top and bottom.  (if sewing run a stitch back and forth over the top and bottom and a zig-zag around the opening)
.
TA-DA!
Look, you can't see anything!  
All done, now you have super cute fast and easy nursing top refashioned from a top you might have in the back of your closet.  If you make one please show me a picture of how it turned out.

THANK YOU FOR VISITING

Well I hope you all like the little fixes I made to this post to make it a bit more reader friendly.  Please let me know if you have any questions. 

28 comments:

  1. I want to see what it looks like when you're standing up, not nursing. Please add a pic like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becky! This shirt is so great I actually use it all the time and I am going to make another. I have some photos from when we made it and I will put them up for you tonight!

      Thank you so much for looking at the blog, I have another nursing outfit coming up soon that I hope you will check out as well.

      Delete
    2. What do you think? I hope you will give it a try. If you do please show me a pic. There is also another way to make this style. I should put a tutorial up on the other way.

      PS I am now following your blog :) Take care

      Delete
  2. Hi I want to make this shirt but I am having trouble following the directions, do you dard the top after you cut the opening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mama I did not need to add any darts. The top was very easy, the one I started with was very fitted(the under layer) So I just cut it open. I thought I could leave it like that but in some positions you could see my stomach. So I then added a ribbon that I use to tie the inside layer back together after I use it.

      What is the top that you are starting with fit like? You can email me a photo of the top and I might be able to help. This top is Amazing. I am still nursing and I use it often. I hope you are able to make one.

      Delete