Monday, March 19, 2012

Upcylce a Sweater into a useful Bow

Tutorial on a Felted Wool Bow

Some of the uses of this felted wool bow
 

  I absolutely love working with felted sweaters. Felted sweaters are fun and easy make. If you don't know how to make felted wool, then check out my step by step tutorial on how to felt wool, and you will be all set. 

The possibilities are endless with felted wool. You can make so much more than the commonly known arm warms, mittens and beanies, out of old sweater. I think that Kris over at Resweater is the queen of sweater upcycling. I am always inspired by her ideas, check out her page, I think you will be inspired too!

A lot of very nice and vaey complex stuff can be created with felted wool. However a lot of very nice, and very easy beginner projects can be created with it. So I hope you are ready for a month of fun and easy beginner projects with felted wool.



The first thing I am going to make with this sweater will be a cute little bow.
Ok, let's get started!


Step 1

Gather the supplies.
For this you will need a felted turtleneck sweater, scissors, hair clip, needle and thread.

Step 2

Cut the turtle neck portion away from the sweater. Put the rest aside for the next project.

 Step 3

Cut open the neck portion, along a seam if there is one, and then cut the pice in to into the correct shape. (shown in the image below).  It is an oval shape with the ends cut flat.

Step4

Make the bow!

It is easy. First, you pinch the middle of the fabric.  Then tie one of the thin strips of the fabric you have, left over from the trimming, around the midle. Tie it into a knot.  Then slip you hair beret under the knot. Last fold the outer portions of the oval fabric inward, toward the center. Then slip them under the beret. Toss in a few stitches with a needle and thread and you done!








TA-DA!


 Looks awesome in your hair!
















 Look I put it on my yellow Vest!



or on a scarf!





After you have  completed this quick and easy hair bow from an old sweater you can put it in you hair and go out. is perfect for your hair!  Or you can replace the hair clip in it with a safety pin and make the bow a perfect addition to anything.  You can see a lot of the things I added the bow too.  My favorite way to use it is attached to a hand bag,
I would love to know if you try this bow.  Send me a picture of how yours turns out.  See you next week for a quick and easy way to use the rest of this sweater.
Please if you have any questions just ask!









No comments:

Post a Comment