Monday, June 18, 2012

Baby Gown Refashion, Make new baby PJ's out of old ones


How to refashion a baby gown into a new pair of baby pajamas


How to make this baby short set out of a baby gown 
Today's tutorial is a very easy baby gown refashion.  I am going to show you step by step how to make an old baby gown into new baby short and top set.  My little man loves it!(I can read his mind)
Before a size 0-3month gown, after 12 month short set

I know that the thought of having to sew somthing can be intemadating.  It can lead you in a quest of "the No-sew-refashions"  I try and post a lot of them, to help ease you intimidated seamstresses into the idea of having to sew.  Well this project dose require some sewing and no you probably can't get away with stitch witchery.  Believe me it will only take you 5 minuets with a needle and thread, you can do it.

Ok lets get started then!

You will Need
I love how soft this is, but baby T hated that he can't crawl in it
 I picked a baby gown that had soft fabric that would work perfect for the baby to sleep in with out getting over heated.  I used one that said size 0-3 and it refashioned in a size 12 month.

Step 1
Lay a top that has a length you like and a pair of shorts that fit your baby well on top of the baby gown.  Put the waist of the shorts at the elastic on the bottom of the gown(this elastic will become the top of the shorts) Mark with chalk under the top.

Step 2

CHOP!

Step 3
Make a small cut in the new shorts, pin and sew(the sewing was so minimal I did it by hand!)  It was only about 20 stitches!That means that you, yes you can do it!

Step 4
Fold up the arms and legs to make the appropriate length for your baby.  Put a few stitches in the folds to help keep the hems up.  I then used a little piece of the old trim as a embellishment on the sleeves.(see below) * Safety Tip When adding anything to baby clothing be sure to stitch it very well and always check that it is still stitched down well when laundering the garment.
For safety make sure to sew down anything you put on baby clothing VERY well and check often for loose threads.
Now his legs are free to crawl, he loved staying up late with me taking pictures.
This picture is so funny, He was very happy to show of the new jammies

He sure had fun being my model for the day! 
Thank you so much for looking at my blog today.  I love you for it!  Please let me know what you think by leaving a comment, That way I know people are actually reading this.  If you have any questions ask away!

Kasey

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much I am glad you liked it, I am doing a girls version very soon

      Delete
  2. Adorable! Oh, the outfit is cute too ;) Hey, thanks for the follow on Twitter. I forgot my bio still says Fair Oaks. I actually live in Placerville! Yep. Was born and raised here, moved to Sac, then came back after my husband passed recently.

    Small world, eh? I went to school w/kids from Georgetown. Back then, waaaay back then, there were only 2 high schools - El Dorado & Ponderosa. I went to Pondo, w/loads of kids from GT :)

    When I get my act together (husband passed just 5 weeks ago) we need to set up some local bloggers stuff. I know there's a group that just met in El Dorado Hills but I missed it :(

    Your blog is darling! Keep coming to the #craftermind chats on Mondays. They are all awesome gals and really, really helpful. Plus, they're just fun :) Have a great day! Thank goodness it's cooled off a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your loss, that must be very hard.

      Can you believe that we are almost in the same town!?! that is nuts. Wow, you are right small world. maybe we should do tea or lunch one day in placerville.

      I grew up in Woodland then moved to Lake Tahoe, now that I have a family we moved out to the county, out in Georgetown. I do my shopping and stuff in Placerville because you know its the only place.

      I will follow your blog too(not sure if I did yet or not)I am honestly shocked that we met online and live so close!

      Again I am so sorry for your loss, one day it will be a little easier. At first when you loose someone its like the radio is on too loud with music of thoughts of them... as time goes by the music slowly gets turned down. But never off. XOXOX

      I went out and actually bought and AC! Take Care

      Delete
  3. Ooh, what an adorable and EASY refashion! I love that it only took a few hand stitches to make the shorty shorts. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I know I don't think it could be any easier! I strive to come up with easy yet outstanding tutorials, so even beginners can do them! Thank you again for stopping in and cheeking out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! I would have never thought to use the elastic as the waist band. I love minimal sew refashions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great tute - thanks so much!
    Donna P

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have the cutest son ever!! amazing diy love this. heartandthrift.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sammy thank you so much. I am going to do another baby gown refashion this week. Thank you for fallowing my blog, I am fallowing your too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That baby is *so* adorable! Thank you for the great tutorial - too bad dd is 2 years old now. Guess I'll have to put this into practice for my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a brilliant idea!!! I have a 3 moth old who has outgrown his gowns...so glad I now can get more use for them!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so doing this TODAY! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it, thank you so much for looking at y blog today. I love this little sleep set

      Delete