Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How to refashion your skirt in to a High-Low hem skirt


Make a Hi-Low Skirt out of a circle skirt

(With pockets!)

                                

A circle skirt before and after, refashioned into a hi-low skirt
Before and After


I have this skits, nothing much is wrong with it but not much is right with it.  The main thing I love about it is that it fits!(I still have lots of baby extra baby weight)
Boring skirt I need to refashion.
  I wanted to make it into one of the new hi-low skirts.  I have never had one. so I was not sure how much I would like it.  I wanted the option to "de-refashion" it back to its original shape; (this term de-refashion was recently coined by over at cotton and curls used by )  When I red her article I thought I was the only one who did that!  

OK! Lets get started!  

Step 1
Acquire a skirt(circle skirt is what I used) to refashion.  Then lay it out flat as pictured below.




Step 2
Pinch a place in the middle, I just eyeballed it, you might want to measure. (you can also do this while wearing it or on a dress form)




Step3
Pull that pinched pice up toward teh waist band.



Step 4
PIN IT!




Step 5
Now you need to pin the rest of the front of the skirt up to the waist band. You will want to pull up a portion that works best for you.(Pin up till about your hips) 





ALL pinned up.... coming along quite well!(better than I expected). My skirt had a liner that showed I just hacked it off. Refashioning means just going with it ya know.


How to refashion a long skirt into a short in the front and long in the back skirt

Step 6
Sew the top! Remove the pins!
You have options here.  If you want the option to be able to remove the stitches later(like I did) then go with a simple stitch.  If you want this to be a premanet refashion  then you can get more fancy wiht top stitching and all that.

TA-DAAAAAAAAAA

Skirt refashioned shorter in the front, with pockets
                    This is actually another photo,  it just looks very similar,hum.  Remind me to talk to my photographer/ boyfriend about mixing things up.
DIY refashion skirt from circle skirt to Hi-low skirt


Look kids, it has pockets! Freaking POCKETS! What more can you ask for? An easy fast refashion with pockets, ahhh I am so happy.  I will be wearing this out tomorrow!


Well friends I hope this tutorial was easy for you to follow. I certainly hope you will try this one, because it is awesome!  I hope you will give it a try, adding your own special touch.  Please send me a photo of you upcycled skirts, it seriously makes my whole day. I typed this at 4:35 AM, so let me apologize for anything that may be confusing. If anything is unclear,  please send me a message and hopefully I can clearafie it for you.